20191209

The importance of light

Found the %*#! ball cup and the slot to hammer on to unscrew it!

The instruction drawings and photos led me to expect the ring I was looking for to be right against the next layer in (think that's one of the dust caps), and possibly a step lower. Then, the actual ring was under a thick velvety coat of grime and looked like part of the flange; the seam where the pieces join was completely obscured and the slots were nearly invisible.

What the internet said:






































What Glenn's Manual said:






































What I actually had:






































In better light:






































Complicating the issue, my "shop" is actually one end of what's supposed to be my apartment's living room. I'll spare you the full rant about living room design; the bottom line is, most of my working light comes from a forehead-mounted flashlight thing. Once I took the wheel into my actual living room (meant to be the bedroom, with a nice ceiling light and south-facing window) to compare with the photo in the *manual, I could barely see the slots. Next step will definitely be to clean the outside of the hub so I can see what I'm doing.